Monday, June 22, 2009

Parental Controls

I think one of the best tools parents can utilize to make the task of protecting their children easier is parental controls. I was thrilled to learn how to use the parental controls on my satellite! Sometimes I use them myself. I hate flipping through channels and coming across something I really could have done without seeing. Then I’m always looking around, fearing one of my kids might have seen that!

The internet is another place where parental controls have become an absolute necessity! There is so much content that anyone can access on the computer, sometimes even by accident. One of my rather naïve friends typed something into a search engine and spelled it wrong. She came across some things that still make her blush when she thinks about it.

It’s funny when it happens to an adult. It’s horrifying when it happens to a kid.

Even though these things are very easy to use, many parents are still not utilizing them. Please! It will only take maybe ten minutes out of your day, and then you can rest easier!

I would also suggest checking the parental controls occasionally to make sure they are still up. Things can happen to disable them without anyone realizing it. For parents of older children, you also want to make sure they haven’t managed to disable them. Children are curious, and I’ve known people who discovered that their children disabled the controls. Most kids won’t do this, but it is something to check on just in case.

The world is too filled with things that can harm our kids to not use parental controls. They are so easy to set up, I can’t understand people that don’t use them!

No comments:

Post a Comment